No injuries in Birch Bay house fire


What started as a summer BBQ turned into a Birch Bay house fire on June 3.

North Whatcom Fire and Rescue (NWFR), Whatcom County Fire District 7 and Lynden Fire Department firefighters responded to a 5:37 p.m. call about a house on fire in Clamdigger Drive, NWFR chief Jason Van der Veen said.

The fire started when a BBQ propane tank caught on fire and spread on the house’s siding before climbing onto the roof. Firefighters extinguished the fire on the back deck and then simultaneously pulled the ceiling down as they cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the fire, a tactic Van der Veen said helped save the house’s structure.

Chasing the fire and getting tactics set took firefighters about 20 minutes, Van der Veen said.

Three people were at the home during the fire and are now being taken care of by family. No residents or firefighters sustained injuries.

As BBQ season fast approaches, Van der Veen wants to remind residents to put used charcoal in the metal containers away from the home.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment