Gabriel Joseph Almeida Botelho
Gabriel’s parents are Joseph and Dina Botelho.
• Honors: Vancouver College President’s Honour Society for average of 90 percent or higher on final grades (grades 9-12)
• Top academic award in varsity basketball and varsity football
• Scholarships from Holy Cross All Catholics basketball tournament, Portuguese Cultural Centre of B.C. Scholarship, Western University’s Scholarship of Distinction and Point Robert’s Dollars for Scholars.
• Co-Captain of the varsity football team that won the B.C. Provincial Championship (2019)
• Player on the varsity basketball team that placed 3rd in the BC AAAA Provincial Championship (2020)
• Played rep hockey as a goalie with the Vancouver T-Birds at bantam level and then with the South Delta Storm as a midget.
• Member of the student council and chair of the graduation committee. Volunteered at Bumpin Bakery working to feed the homeless in Vancouver’s Eastside.
• Accepted to UBC Sauder and University of Toronto’s Rottman schools of business and an advanced early opportunity to University of Western Ontario’s Ivey School of Business.
Gabe’s plan is to minor in political science and then pursue an Ivey combined business and law (JD) degree at the University of Western Ontario. He hopes to practice law or continue graduate studies.
In 2016, we moved to Point Roberts when Gabe was in grade 9. He attended elementary school at St. Margaret’s in Chino, California.
A Blaine High School 2020 graduate, Ashlee Dixon has called Point Roberts home all her life. “It has always felt comforting to come back to Point Roberts and to grow up in such a safe place,” she said.
Attending Blaine schools from Kindergarten through graduation, Ashlee has spent plenty of time on the bus. “The bus ride and the early mornings were not really awful, but it was frustrating to be an hour away from anything you wanted to do with your friends from school,” she said.
Diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and a compromised immune system Ashlee combined online learning with classroom learning throughout high school, also studying ballet in Ladner.
She attended Whatcom Community College through Running Start as a senior and will continue there next year, with plans to transfer to Western Washington University.
Ashlee is interested in studying Art History, though she ruefully acknowledged “it might not be a viable career path” so she is hoping to find an engaging way to pursue that interest and make a living!
Julia is graduating from Southpointe Academy in Tsawwassen. She has many fond memories of growing up in Point Roberts including paddleboarding, summer camps and the Fourth of July celebrations.
She especially enjoyed playing ball hockey at school and spent countless hours on the ice playing hockey in both the U.S. and Canada, winning the Provincial Championships last year!
Julia is looking forward to attending Queen’s University this fall to pursue an Honors Bachelor of Arts degree.
Our son, Sean Heppner, is a 2020 high school graduate of Vancouver College in Vancouver, B.C.. As residents of Point Roberts for the past 22 years, all of Sean’s schooling and athletics has been in the lower mainland of B.C. Sean will be attending the University of British Columbia where he will be playing varsity baseball with the UBC Thunderbirds while pursuing a degree in engineering.
Greg & Sharon Heppner
Georgia Jacobs started school here in Point Roberts with then teacher Mary Edgely until moving to Ladner Elementary in grade 3. She is graduating from DSS this year with a very different graduation than she was hoping for but is glad to be done high school.
Georgia loves swimming and has enjoyed competing with the Winskill Dolphins and Ladner Stingrays in her high school years. She presently enjoys coaching for the Ladner Stingrays Swim Team and is hoping to continue her love of aquatics in her future.
After working locally, she hopes to travel before entering a post secondary program once she has determined what she’d like to study. Her family is very proud of her and wishes her much success in her bright future! Bravo, Georgia!
Sophie Kay Johnson
Sophie Kay Johnson is a 2020 graduate of Point Grey Secondary School in Vancouver, B.C. Sophie never missed an honor roll. She won many sports awards and traveled to Japan with the school in grade 11. Sophie will be attending Queens University, Smith School of Business in Kingston, Ontario starting this fall. She will be pursuing the six-year combined Bachelor of Commerce/JD in Business Law Degrees.
Sophie was a member of the school field hockey team, the school ski team and won many awards playing on the school basketball team (her dad was the coach) and was a competitive dancer for 10 years.
Sophie is the child of Brett and Michelle Johnson of Vancouver, both of whom grew up in Tsawwassen. Her proud grandparents are Sam and Karen Penner of Tsawwassen, and Ingrid, and the late Harry Johnson, of Point Roberts.
Congratulations, Sophie! You have your dreams to inspire you, your heart to guide you, and your family and friends behind you! Now go and dance ....